Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Complain

It is a quarter to 8pm. I am waiting for some samples to dry before I can put my radiolabelled mRNA probe on them and let them incubate at 65 degrees overnight. Because, apparently, I didn't wait long enough on my first try and half my brains floated away. And I couldn't even get started till 2 because the radiation didn't arrive until then. Which is okay, because I needed a break after taking the HARDEST test I've taken in a good long time. Oh, and it is Trent's birthday, as you know. Which he spent at home sick. So it is awesome, that I am stuck here. Just really awesome.

But I heard we got our care package from SLO! How do you guys know when I am having one of the worst ones? Lots of yummy Trader Joe's and other goodies. Thanks Mom and Dad! Hope you are feeling better Mom, watch out for that precious noggin!

Real Story:
Lab: Ya, it's late. That part is true. But I am glad I can finish it tonight because then I can do "Day 2" of the experiment tomorrow, and not on Thursday when I teach. Which is a good thing. These samples look really good and my probe should be great, after I repeated that one time, but what is science if not trial and error? I still think my boss likes me..

The test: was really hard. But everyone thought so, even the girl who has a fruitfly tattoo (gotta love her). It was 9 pages of complex questions written by 6 different professors, one whose English is not so hot. So I am hoping for a good old curve. Or, they said I could have my job back in SF... Just kiddin'.

Neglecting Trent: Ya, this one is pretty rough too. He is such a great sport though, and wants me to do a good job. Which I am so grateful for. We've decided to go to the beach this weekend, I am thrilled to see the Outer Banks finally! And I picked up some tickets today to see James Taylor (a, I will not deny, huge factor in me coming to UNC- he is a Chapel Hill native!) and the UNC Symphony perform together this Sunday afternoon. Which we are both really excited about. He is feeling a lot better after his day home, but it was probably a good idea to not go to work, a lot of his co-workers are way sick.

So things aren't too bad.. just a little bit. But nothing a care package, some stunningly beautiful in situ hybridization results, and a massive curve on my genetics test can't fix!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

thanks for the Birthday shoutout Jean! Just read it today, now that I'm back at work :)

some great times we have had!

And what to be for Halloween this year?!

just recieved an update on the James Taylor thing - it's the NC Symphony, not the UNC Symphony so even better musicians!