Sunday, September 24, 2006

Yummers!



Hello strangers-
This week has been crazy, but in a good way. I feel like things are settling down into this crazy schedule. I even had some free time this last Friday, I hardly knew what to do with myself.

My students actually accomplished their lab (after I did a bunch of their prep work, but oh well), one of my favorite professors is the guest lecture in my class, and my frog project is about to actually start (tomorrow!!).

Friday night we hosted the first real dinner party at our tiny cottage. Trent made fancy rustic pizzas and we hosted BioAmiga's Dierdre and Kelly, and Kelly's visiting parents. The house was perfect, cozy and filled with good cheer. Since last year's apartment was so small, we were quite out of practice, but everything went smoothly. We even got to use our fancy dessert forks from Gump's!

Last night we went to a bbq hosted by some of the older graduate students. I couldn't ask for a nicer group of people. They are all friendly and open, and actually graduating, which is exciting, but unbelievable to even think about yet.

We've been resting up a lot because of lingering colds, but did try to go on a bike ride this morning (Trent went on a super long one on Saturday, but I was too sicky). Today's was not helped by me getting 3 flat tires, and finally Trent just went home and got the car and picked me up. But it was out in the country and lovely where he left me, so I got my "Friends' Meeting" in anyways, just in private instead.

This week is going to be very busy. I have my first exam in Genetics on Tuesday, my frog experiment starts tomorrow and will take several full days, and I still have to set up for this week's lab I am teaching. Oh well! I am mindful today of how lucky I am, even on days when I feel swamped, to be able to be going to school and work with amazing people, and to have such a partner as Trent who is always there to boost my spirits. Today I was studying all day for this upcoming test and we went out grocery shopping and came back with 2 pounds of FRESH mussels, which we steamed with some onion, garlic, and wine and devoured. Lucky me!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yay for bamboo forks from Gump's! They are for dessert and seafood!