An evening without Trent:
1. Work late in the lab. Last one to leave except for boss. Which is pretty impressive for a rotation student. Set up PCR and let it run over night. Tell fruit flies to have as much "fun" as possible this evening, we need some babies!
2. Wrap self up in as much cashmere and Windstopper as possible for 5 minute bike ride home. Realize tropical storm means that it maybe dark and dreary, but it is still about 60 degrees. Rethink cashmere about 3 minutes into ride.
3. Home. Flip aimlessly through unexciting mail, check email, etc. Realize that the 12 miles run on Saturday, 20 mile mountain bike ride on Sunday, run last night, and swim this morning have left you utterly exhausted. Figure you owe yourself an evening off. Cook and eat nearly entire package of mac and cheese and a big salad. Yumm.
4. Try to read papers. Realize that if you read about TGF-beta and G protein coupled receptor signaling once more today, your head may explode. Congratulate yourself on clever (and first ever this year by a first year grad student) question at cool seminar this afternoon. Figure you owe yourself an evening off.
5. Realize you are pretty bored without the bubs. Come home from Idaho!!
6. Imagine/realize noises are coming from the china cabinet that sound like little mice-ies. Daydream for good 10 minutes about them having little tea parties with the good china. Ponder leaving science to pursue a career as a children's book author based on this idea and these two pictures from late Saturday night..
"Who is this in our cute but non- functioning lantern by the door, asks Trent??"
Ah yes, it is Mr. Chipmunk who had tooo much fun at the tea party in the china cabinet and thought that this was his home. How did he get there? We have no idea!!
But we were so tempted to shut that little door and bring him inside and make him be our friend.
7. Realize Mr. Chipmunk wouldn't have been too thrilled at being our latest house guest, and make mental note to wash all china and dishware in cabinet before next party.
8. In sudden burst of energy, scrub kitchen and tidy cottage.
9. 7:40?? Time to fill a Nalgene with hot water, put one of Trent's old t-shirts on panda and call it an a night. I am exhausted. And missing my babe!
Just thought you'd like to know!