Here's the scoop:
1. I really want to blog about the trip, all our adventures here and there, and such. But I feel like they would be such stronger blog posts with pictures to go along. And I left my camera connecting cable in Chapel Hill. So.. soon! There will be awesome pictures! Promise.
2. But things are great. I really like the lab I am working at now. They cater to my random OCD tendencies that I get when I am in scientist mode. New everything, everyone rocks the lab coat, spotless benches, pre-made solutions.. I am going to get spoiled here. Even the amoebas are tidy. I love it!! It might help that they have more funding for science than... pretty much anyone.
3. Still, I think I need to go back to Chapel Hill. I am still a student of science. I need to take more classes, teach more undergrads, and get true grad student experience. Plus.. man, I love UNC. And all my awesome science homies.
4. But the NIH for a post doc?? Sign me up!
5. Except, wow... does it get hot here. My walk to work is like a 15 minute sauna experience. And they love their air conditioning inside. A bit rough on me.
6. I am such an obligate snuggler. I wonder if I will get a good night's sleep anytime soon..
7. I have a great roomie from the University of Florida vet school. She is quite the chatty one though. And she is 21.. which makes me feel like an old fogey.
8. But she can't shake it like I can on the dance floor, as was proved last Friday night. Thank goodness for my Mexican upbringing :)
9. #5 + #6 + #8 (and several other late nights) = Jean has a cold. Lame. What is with my shoddy immune system recently?
10. I love "To Do" lists, all the great food at Trader Joe's, making new friends, keeping in touch with old friends, practicing my "Sisters" routine for the upcoming wedding event (it is definitely not just a wedding, but a wedding event), all the free Smithsonian museums and zoos, being darn good at science and getting noticed for it, and learning new things.
11. I have been listening to a lot of Paul Simon, the awesome new Scissors for Lefty album, and old Ben Harper songs when I miss the Bubs.
12. The Simons (Cape Cod friends) gave us Mountains Beyond Mountains by Tracey Kidder. Everyone should read this. Although it makes you want to quit your day job and start curing TB. Also awesome, and from the Simons, Mrs Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. So adorable!
That's about it. Just wanted to keep you all posted on my daily happenings. I can't wait to blog about our trip (with pictures!), it was fantastic.