Monday, March 10, 2008
I am slacking on posting lots of pictures of the remodel... it seems stranger to post pictures of where you are living for some reason, I believe. But fear not, we are trucking along in the journey to make this house a home. Por ejemplo:
1. After a brief stint with no running water, we are back to having water, and proud to say that the water is flowing through our lovingly soldered copper pipes beneath the house. We are solder champions!
2. So this means we are mere days away from actually having hot water. Get out. It will be unbelievable. The folks at the gym will miss us. I am SO excited. Not being able to immediately shower after spending a couple hours under the house soldering, is not so fun.
3. The electrical is nearly done, just need to get all the cables we artfully arranged under the house plugged into their respective breaker boxes.
4. The washer/dryer area is fully plumbed, even with the dryer vent, and Trent is building the walls to make it into it's own closet area.
5. Once items 2-4 are completely finished, we get to have the city inspector come out and make sure we did everything correctly. But so far not flooding/burning down/collapsing the house has been pretty good evidence that we are on track.
6. As soon as it passes inspections, we can slap up some drywall and start installing! We have most of the cabinets, all the appliances, even the countertops already purchased, so that will go quickly.
7. Speaking of appliances, we couldn't pass up the deal of the century and snagged this fridge at Lowes. It was a floor model that had just been reduced even further and it is ours. We had been planning to fix up the old beast, but with time constraints, energy concerns, and the hope to sell this house quickly someday, it was an easy decision to make. Fancy dancy fridge.. even has an icemaker (which I am probably most excited about).
This weekend was good, fairly well balanced between working our tails off Saturday, as well as managing to get in some long runs and lunches at Weaver Street. Sunday we had friends in town to visit, and helped other friends move, so we didn't get as much done, but it was a nice break.
The town is quiet, with students off for spring break, as well as the general sense of sadness for our communities loss. I only knew of Eve Carson, but her amazing reputation and ambitious nature makes this tragedy even more acute.