Sunday, August 06, 2006

Stage Eight Recap




Pictures:
Crossing into North Carolina through the Smokey Mountains
Mom and I at the Appalacian Trailhead, with the beautiful background.
The old highschool my grandfather went to which they get to enjoy forever.

Well, well, well...
Tonight we are finally in North Carolina. I've decided to blame Tennessee for all my misgivings about the South and my aprehension in general. Sorry Tennessee. I am sure you aren't that bad, but I just was never that taken with you. North Carolina on the other hand.. just fabulous!

We woke up fairly late this morning but Mom and I managed a quick, but nice, swim before breakfast and hitting the road. I started driving and we quickly listened to the last few minutes of Shopgirl before I put on my cd of all my favorite songs. The ones that make you feel better about yourself.. I know you all have them. If not, "Wildflowers" by Tom Petty. Honestly. We drove down through lots of back roads that took us directly through Pigeon Fordge (Home of Dollywood) and Gaitlenburg (which is a huge version of Pier 39, every Ripley's, hotel, and shop). It was overwhelming and nothing like the little vacation town my Dad remembers. We were pretty unimpressed with the clientelle and the whole situation.

But then we entered Smokey National Park. And it was simply stunning. So immensly green and wooded, with lots of creeks and waterfalls. We stopped to take pictures and celebrate crossing into NC. We found the Appalacian Trailhead (interested, trent?) and there were lots of people out hiking and swimming in the lake. All of whom we assumed were North Carolinians.. sorry Tennessee. We drove out of the park on a very curvy road and through the town of Maggie's Valley, which was simply charming in its innocence and lack of Ripley's. Rejuvinated, we pressed on to Ashville. Which was SO Trent and Jean. Tons of Subaru's with mountain bikes and kayaks. Happy families walking around, even some same sex couples (yay!) and lots of little art galleries, book stores, and fancy shops. They even had a hemp store! We found a cute sidewalk cafe and had a nice and leisurely lunch. We explored the town a bit, stopping in at one of the bookstores, but the day was slipping away so we didn't stay long. Definitely excited about getting to know that town better though.

Dad took over driving and I catnapped in the back to avoid the sickness that the curvy roads induce. We started listening to another book by Alexander Smith McCall, but of a different series. This one is of German linguists who get into crazy situations. It's called "The Finer Points of Sausage Dogs" I believe. SO funny. With some navigating we managed to find King's Mountain. My Grandfather grew up here and went to the high school and my father spent time visiting his grandmother and other family. The town has grown a lot but there were some parts he remembered. It has been great listening to all his stories. My grandparents are both buried there in a beautiful place that overlooks the old football stadium of the highschool he went to. We managed to find it after being given some mungled directions (you'd think the fireman would know exactly where it was!!) and spent some nice time there remembering. I never knew them, but I know what a big part of my lives they still are.

We made our way back to one of the two hotels in King's Mountain, a Holiday Inn. Immediately off to the pool to swim. I was eager, as this pool was large, deep, clean, and square. It, however, was also occupied by the sassiest 2 and 3 year old girls I've ever met. They immediately came over to inspect my cap and goggles and then told me I couldn't dare wear the cap in the pool and it was necessary they try on the goggles. The combination of their heavy Southern drawls and their sassy attitudes was hillarious. Mom and I could barely contain our laughter! I managed some good swimming, but it was punctuated by "Haaaayyy, watch this" and "Haaayyyy, something something something, ok??" Yes, sure, okay.. whatever you said, little crazy one. The two girls were absolutely fearless, of strangers and of the pool, and their parents didn't seem to mind one bit. I went immediately back to teaching swimming lessons at Hamilton and tried to get them to blow bubbles or kick their legs, but they just looked at me like I was crazy.

We headed of later to the Mexican restaurnt recommended by the front desk. It wasn't as bad as it could have been for being the middle of nowhere North Carolina, but everything had meat in it, which we weren't expecting. Lots of beans and tortillas, but I am totally stuffed! We cruised around town, getting completely lost but then suddenly ending up in the perfectly right area magically. The town seems to be doing well, there were lots of gorgeous old Southern homes, and plenty of businesses.

Tomorrow is the ninth and final stage. We are about 3 hours outside of Chapel Hill. We are thinking of going straight to my house and meeting up with my landlord and getting into our cute cottage and doing lots of laundry before heading over to my Mom's college roommate's house where they will be staying. And I might be staying while I buy a bed and maybe a chair or something to make the house liveable! It will be crazy to be back in Chapel Hill, especially knowing that it is for good. I hope I remember how to get around and where our place was! I am excited to be able to get stuff done, I hate just fretting about it with no chance of resolving anything. Any deals online about furniture or decorations.. let me know. We need, um.. everything!

2 comments:

MrsEm said...

Jimmy Cliff is the best "feel better about yourself" music!

rcpeters said...

where's the final trip post lady?