Tuesday, April 24, 2007

All I want it is a desk somewhere...


With my third rotation settling in, I have realized something. I am dying to join a lab. Mainly for.. a desk. I want my own desk! I love being organized at work and have been having a rough time with all this moving around. I immediately rearrange whatever bench I am assigned to and make it completely mine, but I have had a much more difficult time getting settled at a desk, and I am learning how important it is to have a well organized and useful desk for reading and planning, as it is having an organized bench for actually experimenting.

As part of my spring cleaning, I have been organizing all my papers and getting things arranged into binders. I just can't wait until I have my very own space to keep it all at work! Here are some options I am thinking of:

1. A calender. I've learned that science involves a ton of planning, around experiments, travel, grants, and flies hatching. This will be indispensable.

2. Lots of storage for lots of papers. I hate seeing desks that are just piles of papers with no organization. I like hanging file folders for "classic" papers that you will always need, but I think these would be great for the current papers you are reading for journal clubs or future manuscripts!

3. I definitely want to personalize my desk, but with lots of class. I think small details like a pretty pencil jar, this poster that makes me think of the Bubs, and a little bonsai or something would add personality without clutter. Oh, and of course my mantra from Jay-Z.."This ain't no tall order, this is nothing to me. Difficult takes a day, impossible takes a week." Gotta keep my optimism!

4. A drawer for all the things you need, like hair ties, Excedrin, stamps, tea, chapstick, granola bars, etc. I know this sounds so lame to all you desk bound workers, but I would LOVE to have a drawer like this.

5. Is this chair too nuts? I am not quite sure. Which probably means I am nuts.

Just a little while longer and my dream of desk bliss will be a reality. Any one have good recommendations for a first real desk?

3 comments:

MrsEm said...

You are too funny! Who covets a cubicle?

MissScientistSF said...

I know, it is so lame. But it will make me SO happy!

Anonymous said...

That chair makes me laugh...you should get it- no one can have a bad day in that chair ;-)