Sunday, October 29, 2006

Photo Recap!!

Hey friends! Sorry for the lack of posting. This grad school stuff is keeping me pretty darn busy. But we are having a good time as well. Here are some pictures, again totally out of order, of the latest happenings!

This is Trent this evening. His work is having a contest to build the best scarecrow. He was in charge of making the frame. Mr. Crafty Amazing was not satisfied until it had complete animated arm waving. He used his power drill as the motor. He is gonna be the BEST dad for science projects!

I finally put up some art in the dining room. We had quite a stormy week, but it was lovely this weekend and we went on some great hikes in the forest behind our house. I couldn't get over the amazing fall foliage (seriously, it boggles me) and kept picking up my favorites. Which ended up being like 100 or so. I picked my 4 top representatives and put them in frames. They look lovely and hopefully will keep their anthocyanins and xanthophylls for a little while so we can enjoy the trees while inside.

On Wednesday nights, if we aren't too exhausted, we all like to go to trivia at a local pub called Tylers. We always do very poorly, and get beaten by older bio grad students, but have a blast. We have a seminar that goes late into the evening on Wednesdays, so it is nice to relax after all that. Here is (from left to right) Adam, Kelly, Steph, myself, and Trent cracking up.

Here is the rest of the gang on Wednesday. Lotsa bio kids who don't know much about a lot of trivia. I love Trent's face in this, as well as his buddy Jared's amused expression back. I guess I caught him off guard.

Okay, so last weekend, we went to the North Carolina State Fair in Raleigh. It was a total trip, but really fun. This event was my favorite. Pig racing. The crowd showed up like 30 minutes before it started to watch, but it was hillarious. They also raced ducks, billygoats, and pot bellied pigs! You can kind of see a little porker dashing about in the lower left corner.

Pig racing plus lots of cotton candy had me very amped up about the entire situation. Yes, the man behind me is wearing camo. I love it.


A true State Fair, there was tons of fried food, carnival rides and crowds, but we had a great time checking out the local flavor. We watched 4H'ers showing their goats, Trent talked shop with some potato farmers and we saw lots of produce judging. Because of this, Trent was technically "working" that whole time. Awesome! Adorable baby horses and cows as well.

Here are Matt (my TA actually for the class I am taking, but also a Genetics 2nd year grad student), Steph and Kelly enjoying the last non-fried thing they ate at the fair. They were troopers and tried EVERYTHING, fried twinkies, oreos, pickles, it was amazing what people would pay to eat if it was fried. We opted out, I don't even like twinkies regularly! But they were good sports.

So ya, just a little peek into our lives. Last night we went to a really fun Halloween party that was hosted by Trent's coworkers, so hopefully I get pictures of that soon. Things are going well over here, teaching is becoming very rewarding, I love science, and our little house. I do have a test this Tuesday, and a ton of brains waiting to be sectioned, so this is gonna be a busy week. Hope you all have a great one!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing the pics! It was so good to talk to you, have an awsome week and good luck on the test!
Aloha,
Haley

Anonymous said...

Oh sweet jesus! Pig racing?

Anonymous said...

Yes, Pig Races. And for all of you in California dying to see them for your selves, they're just a short BART ride away at the San Mateo County Fair - you don't even have to leave the bay! Or if you'd care to drive, the Dixon May Fair, home of other past performers including Faith Hill, LeAnn Rimes, Ashlee Simpson, Willie Nelson and Lynyrd Skynyrd has their very own pig races as well.