Saturday, May 26, 2007
Whoops. Sorry for the lack of posts. Lemme catch up real quick. Top 10 List:
1. I picked a lab. It was the lab I originally was set on. I am so happy and know that it will be a great fit for me.
2. So yes, I completely panicked. I should have talked to the PI first about my concerns that my topic wasn't going to be the focus of his lab. Or realized that my topic has been his life's work and he is one of the top scientists in this field. Ooops.
3. But I think it was a good thing that I did panic. Because it gave me an opportunity to go talk to other professors all over campus. And I learned that PI's love to talk about their work, and love to collaborate. Due to my panic week, I have one definite committee member in the BioPhysics department and a definite collaborator in Neuroscience. Yay for cross-disciplinary biological research!!
4. During my panic week, I worked out like a mad woman. And may have given myself an ulcer or just pulled an ab muscle. Either way, quite uncomfortable. I also gave myself an ear infection from swimming so much. Awesome.
5. I am leaving for DC very soon. Which is insane! But I finally got my housing assignment and have my own room right on the NIH campus for two months. Luckily I don't start at the lab until June 11th, so I have some time to go on vacation!
6. Luckily Trent's job is really flexible right now, so he can take a week off to go on vacation with me. And we just heard that our dear family friends in Cape Cod can host us for a weekend. I haven't seen them since I was little, but I have such wonderful memories of their adorable guest house and amazing hospitality. I am thrilled!!
7. Although DC will be a great experience, I am kinda bummed about leaving Chapel Hill for the summer. I have some awesome friends here, and I am finally getting better at our weekly volleyball games! And we have discovered all the great rock climbing, cycling, mt. biking, and great summer music and restauranting. Good thing I have like... 4 more summers to enjoy it. Ahhh.
8. I am seriously brooding for a dog.
9. I found the back porch has way more sun than the front and have actually managed to grow a cute little herb garden and some jungle-esque tomato plants.
10. I got a great new summer dress at Nordstrom's with a $20 rebate. And then I got that summer dress I was in love with, on sale at Swell.com. And they are all I have been wearing. I love this warm weather!
As you can see, things have been crazy these past few weeks, but it has all sorted out and ended up even better than I had expected. I can't even tell you how helpful the Bubs has been in this emotional rollercoaster of a time. He cooks me yummy dinners, tells me to go running when I am just sitting around the house fretting, takes me on fancy dates to celebrate, and lets me sleep for 20 hours straight, as I just did, without worrying. He would leave me snacks and cute pictures on my nightstand to fortify me during my hibernation. Feeling much better after that little nap.
I am going to be a lot better about blogging, I have a ton of cool stuff going on right now and need to keep you all updated! Next up, DC and beyond!