Monday, November 20, 2006

Scary!


This weekend we had a bit of a scare. Or at least I did. After using our awesome blender to grind some coffee (really, it is an amazing blender) Trent was cleaning it up before stashing it away. While talking to his buddy Jarrett on the phone. He ended up cutting his finger kinda bad on a sharp edge on the bottom, but nothing too serious. I made him come to the bathroom and was cleaning it up with hydrogen peroxide and discussing bandaid options when he started to black out. Luckily I caught him but couldn't hold him upright and he fell back into the tub. I don't deal well with these situations and immediately began panicking and yelling at him. He was breathing fine but I couldn't wake him so I ran and got the phone. As soon as I left, he perked up and got out of the tub, wondering why I was running around the house screaming. I was thrilled to have him awake, but as soon as I got back into the bedroom he konked out again and I pushed him down onto the bed and called 911. I don't mess around with this stuff! Screaming at the 911 lady, she managed to calm me down and Trent came around. Still I insisted on a medic coming out. It was scary stuff. He laid down on the floor and started to get his color back, just as friend Dierdre showed up to make desserts for that evening's dinner party. Poor thing stumbled into quite a situation with me still in panic mode. The medic showed up and made sure everything was fine, but recommended that we go to the ER anyways. I drove, still screaming, to the ER, battling the traffic from the UNC vs. NC State game (A HUGE deal, but we won!!) that was just getting out. The hospital was great and took our case seriously. He had a tetnus shot, an EKG, and a CAT scan to rule out any possible heart or neuro reasons. We settled on a serious vasovagal response, but I was glad they did all the extra precautions. Now we have proof he is a completely healthy fella. We were there for quite a while, and I was competely exhausted afterwards. The rest of the weekend, I couldn't let him out of my sight for worry. But he is fine, the cut is healing well and we realized how important it is to know medical histories and closest hospitals and such. Though I hope we don't need to know that for a looooong time!

4 comments:

rcpeters said...

When I get hand injuries I go blind for about 30 seconds. Apparently my body thinks my hands have blood priority over my temproral lobes. :-)

MrsEm said...

Whoa! Trent apparently shares my propensity for dramatic fainting spells.

MrsEm said...

PS - Maybe you should keep a box of these around just in case.

Sara said...

woah scary!!! sounds like you did a good job calling 911. I think I'm just like you and would start yelling at The Husband were anything like that to happen (his favorite is to choke on cereal, I've now forbid him to talk during breakfast :)